Monday, March 10, 2008

Virtual or In Person Conferences?

I just came back from two different conferences. Both got me out of my office or classroom and allowed me to talk to others, interact with the presentors. I find that energizing.
I have attended a number of webinars and have not found them as energizing as meeting in person.

At MACUL, Iattended a session by Steve Dembo from Discovery Network. His presentation was about "Learning to Speak Native". He talked about Marc Prensky - "Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants" and how people who grew up with the technology are "hard-wired" differently. He then went onto say that we can lose our accent be using the tools that the Native use.

He talked about how Virtual Conferences like Live Blogs, Podcasts, Backchannels, Twitter, uStream, Schatcasting, HitchHikr are ways to replace the In Person Conferences.

I agree to a certain point. But isn't one of the problems we are having with our students is that they do not know how to socialize with others in real life?
Just wondering?

No comments: